Flexible couplings are used for connecting two or more grooved components. It is one of the basic tools required for grooved piping. The sealant or joint which connects two ends is the coupling that is used. Different sizes are available that are used according to the measurement of the pipe. The larger the pipe size, the larger the coupling needed to create the sealed joint.
Flexible pipe couplings are typically used in specific applications that are prone to such issues as angular deflection, uneven joining surfaces, vibration and so on. In short, flexible couplings can be said to be suitable for most applications where a rigid coupling might not prove to be efficient.
There could be several other reasons why flexibility in couplings is required. These include
- Variations in temperature could cause a proportional change in the dimensions of the pipe. Certain pipes tend to expand in higher temperatures and contract in lower temperatures. A rigid coupling is not capable of responding and adjusting to these changes whereas a flexible coupling is made of materials that can adjust to the dimensional variations.
- As material flows through pipelines at various pressures it causes the pipelines to deflect slightly. These deflections, if not secured by a coupling that’s flexible, could eventually lead to leaks and pipe bursts.
- Vibration is another inevitable component of a piping system. The materials that are used in the manufacture of flexible pipe couplings are capable of absorbing vibrations, thus preventing damage to the pipeline and the materials it conveys.
Now that you know all these factors, it becomes evident that rigid couplings, though widely used, are not always the most ideal product for all types of applications.There are a myriad of environments where these couplings are used. These include sewage treatment plants, conveying systems, food and beverage sector, chemical industries, manufacturing and processing industries, compressed air, building construction and more.
These components can be easily procured from a leading manufacturer or distributor of piping components. When you are procuring these components, you should look for factors such as:
- Ease of installation and replacement
- Durability and long service life
- Secure fitting mechanisms
There are various different types of flexible pipe couplings geared to different installation needs. You can find specific couplings for each of these requirements:
- Connecting pipes that may have a gap in between
- Connecting pipes that are not aligned perfectly
- Connecting pipes that are configured with angular deflections
Advantages of using a Flexible Pipe Coupling
There are several ways in which using a flexible coupling can prove beneficial. First of all, they are very cost-effective so they do not increase your pipeline work budget significantly. They are available as a complete unit that’s ready-to-use. No cutting or adjustments required. These couplings are very strong, yet they are not very heavy. This means that they do not add any extra pressure on pipe connections. The presence of a single locking point means that you can simply put them in place and fasten them. This goes a long way in ensuring that they can be assembled quickly.
Adopting a lackadaisical approach when investing in couplings can cause severe damage to your pipelines and piping systems at a later stage. Hence, it is always a prudent decision to invest in high-quality flexible pipe couplings, to begin with.